How to Choose a Contractor
Here are some useful tips to consider when hiring a contractor for your residential or commercial project:
- Choose a contractor you feel comfortable with.
- Verify that your contractor is insured. Ask for a “Certificate of Insurance” showing both liability (for your property) and worker’s compensation (for their workers).
- Ask for and contact references. Ask about the contractor’s reliability, quality of work, and whether they stuck to their price and timeline.
- Review the contractors’ professional affiliations. For example, the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask for home improvement or an appropriate contractor license.
- Make sure to get a written contract that clearly states the scope of the project, price and timeline for completion.
- Be wary of contractors that compete based on price alone. Cheap does not equal quality!